The Slocan Climate Action Advisory Commission was formed by Council in 2018, to provide advice, support, and recommendations to Council with regards to the development and implementation of climate action and GHG reduction initiatives within the Village of Slocan.
The Commission’s mandate is to:
- Provide recommendations on the implementation and updating of Slocan’s Strategic Community Energy & Emissions Plan;
- Inspire and sustain community commitment to achieve the Village’s community-wide GHG emissions reduction targets and climate action objectives;
- Identify and advise on ways to build local climate action awareness, and promote environmental stewardship within the community;
- Provide a forum for dialogue and information-sharing related to climate action and GHG reduction;
- Provide a local perspective on climate action while giving due consideration to the balance between social, environmental, and economic aspects;
- Review, research, analyze, and provide feedback on any other community-related climate action items as directed by Council, including strategic planning, bylaws and policy development.
The work of the Commission shall be guided by, but not limited to, the following documents & initiatives, and any amendments thereto:
- The Village of Slocan Strategic Community Energy & Emissions Plan, 2016
- The Village of Slocan Community Sustainability & Transition Plan, 2011
- The Village of Slocan Official Community Plan, 2011
- The Village of Slocan Corporate Inventory and CARIP Reports
- FCM – Partners for Climate Protection Program Framework
- West Kootenay EcoSociety’s 100% Renewable Kootenays Program