The Village of Slocan accepts and approves building permit applications under the Regional District of Central Kootenay (RDCK) Building Service. The department deals primarily with the regulation and inspection of new construction and renovations, alterations, additions and changes in occupancy of existing buildings. Building inspectors administer the Building Bylaw, the British Columbia Building Code, and complies with Canadian Health and Safety Standards.
To book an appointment with the building inspector, please call the Village Office at 250-355-2277.
Slocan hours: Thursdays, 1:00pm.
For inspections outside the Slocan boundary, please call the RDCK Building Department at 250-352-8155.
- Building Permit Application Form
- Owners Representative Form
- Development Permit Application Form
- Certification of Plumbing Test
- Certification of Heating Systems
Attention to sustainability in planning and building your project will create a quality building with reduced long-term utility costs. Use these checklists to help plan, design and build with goals of sustainability and energy-efficiency. Visit the Regional Energy Efficiency program for more information at https://rdck.ca/EN/main/services/sustainability-environmental-initiatives/energy/regional-energy-efficiency-program.html
Residential Sustainability Checklist
Commercial Sustainability Checklist
Construction shall not commence before a building permit has been issued. To ensure expedient permit processing:
- The application must be complete – please refer to our Building Brochure for the requirements
- The contact information must be correct
- The owner and the representative must sign the Owner’s Representative Form application.
For current building permit fees refer to the schedule here: Fee-Schedule.
The following, where applicable, are required to be submitted with your Building Permit Application:
- BUILDING PLANS—INCLUDING FLOOR, ELEVATION AND CROSS SECTION PLANS
Two sets of detailed building plans. If you find that you cannot draw the necessary plans, then you should obtain the services of a qualified person. Preferred scale 1/4” = 1” – 0”
- SITE PLAN
- Plan indicating:
- North Arrow
- Location & uses of proposed/existing construction and additions
- All lot dimensions
- All distances from property lines, steep slopes and water courses for proposed construction and/or additions
- Location of driveway access from named roads
- Size, location and number of on-site parking spaces (if required)
- Location of proposed or existing sewage field and water well
- Scale of Site Plan
- Plan indicating:
- BC HOUSING REQUIREMENTS
- If the application for permit is to construct a dwelling, the owner must, prior to issuance of the permit, submit a “New Home Registration Form” that is acquired from BC Housing OR the licensed builder. Further information may be obtained from the BC Housing website: www.bchousing.org
- SEWAGE DISPOSAL SYSTEMS (if required)
- Where a private Sewage Disposal System is to be installed in accordance with the Sewerage System Regulations in British Columbia, contact a Registered Practitioner or Engineer. For a list of contractors in your area visit: www.owrp.asttbc.org
- AN ACCESS PERMIT (if required)
- If access is from a major Highway, an Access Permit for confirmation of legal access to the property is required from the appropriate Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure District Office (see list on last page).
- TITLE SEARCH
- A current copy of your Title Search is required, dated within 30 days of the date of application and a copy of any and all covenants. (The RDCK can retrieve these documents for a small fee)
- PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION (if required)
- Professional Certification of plans may be required as a condition of the issuance of a Permit.
- Please visit our Professional Certification page for more information on engineering requirements.
- BC Energy Compliance Report – Pre-construction form (all residential part 9 new builds)
- Completed by a Certified Energy Advisor licensed by Natural Resources Canada.
- Pre construction HOT2000 Model Full Report (all residential part 9 new builds)
- Printout or electronic version of the complete pre construction HOT2000 Model Full Report
|A BUILDING PERMIT IS REQUIRED WHEN YOU WISH TO:
-Construct a new home
-Construct a new accessory building such as a carport, garage or storage shed
-Construct a farm building (consult with the Building Official regarding exemptions)
-Construct or renovate a commercial, industrial or public use building
-Construct a temporary building
-Renovate existing building
-Undertake any structural work such as interior partitions
-Enclose a porch or roof over a sun deck
-Construct a retaining wall retaining more than 5 feet of soil
-Move a building
-Locate a manufactured or modular home
-Construct an addition to a manufactured or modular home
-Install a pool
-Demolish a building
-Change the use or occupancy of a building
-Renovate your dwelling to create a secondary suite
-Install a Fire Alarm System
-Install commercial kitchen ventilation equipment
|A BUILDING PERMIT IS NOT REQUIRED
WHEN YOU DO NON-STRUCTURAL WORK SUCH AS:
-Landscaping, sidewalks, and driveways
-Install new roofing (surface materials only)
-Replace kitchen cupboards
-Fences (fence height must comply with the Village of Slocan’s Zoning Bylaw where applicable)
-Build a fireplace, install a wood stove, or install a
chimney in an existing building